Revise user registration process
A bit of a brain dump:
- Current user registration involves both user registration (https://civicrm.org/user/register) as well as "site registration" (https://civicrm.org/register-a-site).
- Why even register in the first place? The value of registration is unclear and not at all communicated.
- Stuart is working on a new reg page here: https://civicrm.org/new-register that could consolidate things.
- Not unrelated to https://lab.civicrm.org/infrastructure/ops/issues/755
- Site registration captures a lot of info that we don't use.
- How could this be facilitated in-app?
- What is the process beyond registration, i.e. what additional communications do registrants receive? What follow ups are triggered, etc.?
Some comments from others brought into this issue
- Random thought: I was looking at civicrm.org/user/register (community profile creation, when not connected; for anti-spam issue). Shouldn't there be a checkbox to specify if: user, admin, developer? (to funnel into becoming a member or a partner), (to replace or complement the plain text-box for 'community role')
- also the headshot photo upload should be removed? it isn't used anymore, but still says: "Please upload a "headshot photo" - approximately 250 x 250 pixels if you want to be included in the rotating "Community Gallery" on the top of CiviCRM.org pages. Your information will not be displayed if you don't provide a photograph." .. and very very few people seem to upload a photo.