Editing a custom field choice label changes the `name` if you do it from the custom field admin screens
But it correctly leaves the
name field alone if you do it from Admin - System Settings - Option Groups.
It appears to have been this way for a really long time, i.e. https://github.com/civicrm/civicrm-core/blame/5.26.0/CRM/Custom/Form/Option.php#L390
- Go to Administer - Customize - Custom Fields.
- Find or create one that has a list of option choices, like a Select field.
- Pick one of the option choices to edit and make a note of the value of
namefor it, e.g. with api explorer do
OptionValue - Getand for
option group idpick this choice list's option group. Or look in the database directly in civicrm_option_value.
- Edit the choice and change the label.
- Do the api explorer query again or look in the database - the
This seems to be just for custom fields. I'm sure I would have noticed it at some point if it was for something built-in like activity type.