Fixes & improvements to social media
After being one of the Twits with access to Buffer for the last few months, have noticed a few issues:
- Buffer gives errors at a number of points - incl 'share now', sharing to Linked In. Not sure if that's because Civi is on the Free plan.
- Facebook integration is broken and needs resetting up. Would be good to write once then share on FB, LinkedIn and Twitter. LI and FB haven't seen an update since 2017.
- No way to RT Tweets without installing a browser plugin and then being logged into the CiviCRM Twitter account. Given how good it is to amplify nice Tweets, this seems a shortfall.
- No process to take questions/comments/discussions on these platforms into the community.
- The header on https://www.facebook.com/civicrm/ & https://twitter.com/civicrm has a lot of text and doesn't really match the main website look and feel (fonts, colour, whitespace). https://www.linkedin.com/company/civicrm-org has no header. https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCbmFxo3HyO9gaNG40byQjiQ is quite smart.
- There is a Flickr I set up ages ago https://www.flickr.com/photos/148124519@N08/ but no Instagram (tho some tags: https://www.instagram.com/explore/tags/civicrm)
- The last YouTube upload was Jan 2018.
- Only one partner — CiviDesk - advertises on Twitter. Until I started Tweeting, they were the only Tweets appearing. I can't see a social media guidelines anywhere saying either - how partners advertise their services on official channels, or how often they should post.
Thoughts/possible to dos:
- Quick inventory on the wiki here of all the platforms, and who has access to each one
- Is Buffer the best platform? Hootsuite have a similar free plan.
- Is it worth paying $15-20 a month for a pro account?
- Setup Facebook and LinkedIn on whichever platform is used
- Harmonise headers / avatars across all platforms (?)
- Find an Instagrammer..
- Create some posting guidelines on the Wiki here so other volunteers can take over / jump in.
- Reference this in event admin docs, so event organisers know how to advertise events, and share videos afterwards