Fixes & improvements to social media
After being one of the Twits with access to Buffer for the last few months, have noticed a few issues:
- Buffer gives errors at a number of points - incl 'share now', sharing to Linked In. Not sure if that's because Civi is on the Free plan.
- Facebook integration is broken and needs resetting up. Would be good to write once then share on FB, LinkedIn and Twitter. LI and FB haven't seen an update since 2017.
- No way to RT Tweets without installing a browser plugin and then being logged into the CiviCRM Twitter account. Given how good it is to amplify nice Tweets, this seems a shortfall.
- No process to take questions/comments/discussions on these platforms into the community.
- The header on https://www.facebook.com/civicrm/ & https://twitter.com/civicrm has a lot of text and doesn't really match the main website look and feel (fonts, colour, whitespace). https://www.linkedin.com/company/civicrm-org has no header. https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCbmFxo3HyO9gaNG40byQjiQ is quite smart.
- There is a Flickr I set up ages ago https://www.flickr.com/photos/148124519@N08/ but no Instagram (tho some tags: https://www.instagram.com/explore/tags/civicrm)
- The last YouTube upload was Jan 2018.
- Only one partner — CiviDesk - advertises on Twitter. Until I started Tweeting, they were the only Tweets appearing. I can't see a social media guidelines anywhere saying either - how partners advertise their services on official channels, or how often they should post.
Thoughts/possible to dos:
- Quick inventory on the wiki here of all the platforms, and who has access to each one
- Is Buffer the best platform? Hootsuite have a similar free plan.
- Is it worth paying $15-20 a month for a pro account?
- Setup Facebook and LinkedIn on whichever platform is used
- Harmonise headers / avatars across all platforms (?)
- Find an Instagrammer..
- Create some posting guidelines on the Wiki here so other volunteers can take over / jump in.
- Reference this in event admin docs, so event organisers know how to advertise events, and share videos afterwards
To upload designs, you'll need to enable LFS and have admin enable hashed storage. More information