civicrm.org is often said to be multiple sites bundled into one. This page tries to address some of the technical debt we have accumulated over the years and seeing if better tools could be used for some areas.
Two technical/structural issues that could be decided earlier and will make it easier to tackle some of the other issues, which are in limbo meanwhile:
Do we split .com / .org
Do we upgrade to d8, or wait until d7 is EOL (in 2 years, or maybe even switch to an LTS for another year) - knowing that going d8 could add significant delay to i18n, but on the other hand i18n will delay migrating to another CMS (d8 or wp).