Drupal8: recreated individual events layout
Have recreated the events layout with a new events content type.
This process has merged CiviCon and CiviCamp events type - and added options for Sprints, Summits and online multi-speaker events (current working title - CiviLive, but easily changed).
- old Drupal 7 page - https://civicrm.org/summit/devon-2020
- new Drupal 8 page - https://civicrm.org/events/summit/2020-online
This is now using Gutenberg blocks rather than the quite specific and sometimes stubborn Views in D7. It is for now only designed for single-page event layouts. With Gutenberg it's much easier to long scrollers. It could also be used for multi-page event subsites just by creating multiple pages with this content type, copying content, and then deselecting 'promoted to front-page' so that extra pages doesn't appear as their own event on /events.
The best way to replicate the current layout is to copy and paste an existing event in code view and then edit via visual view as normal. The previous custom fields aren't used other than 'date teaser line', for the view block at /events (and elsewhere), start date, for ordering/display, and header image – in case the slide shows of /civicamp and /civicon are to come back.
Sidenote - have also updated the future events list on /events to list the type of event next to the date (ie Sprint / Global Community Summit / CiviCamp) – maybe makes less sense if there is no name of place in the event title as there normally is.
Future (possible) development:
- create a template to make it easy to get going in creating a new event
- move heading css out of Gutenberg and into the theme css so it's always on
- speaker layout, linked to civi listings
- register a session form
- sessions layout
- sponsor levels
- pathauto patterns for event types
- sponsor listings (logo from CiviCRM record?)
- easier multi-page event sub-site creation (ie sub-menu)