Allow in-app messages from extension authors
Proposal discussed at CiviCamp Brussels, for consideration by the Ext WG and Core Team:
Context: Extensions do not have a way to communicate with their users. This may be to communicate:
- that the extension is being deprecated (possibly in favour of another one),
- fundraising request,
- promote trainings/workshops, or other services.
- Partner benefit (as a way to validate that the extension author's message is compatible with CiviCRM values/branding/community).
- Currently in-app messages are fed from a google-doc. In the short term, we could open up write permissions to the google-doc to a few people/partners, who could handle the requests. The requests could be done on Mattermost or Gitlab (transparency).
- In-app messages for extensions, for now, would only be shown to administrators (in-app messages currently have options to show that message only to admins, all users, etc)
- and of course, an in-app message would only be shown if the extension is enabled.
Technically, this requires small changes to civicrm core, as well as the in-app messaging app. As the community grows, eventually, we may want to have a forms for this on civicrm.org, but that's more work, which we can address when it becomes necessary.