Consider bringing export permission into core
I took a look at https://github.com/progressivetech/net.ourpowerbase.exportpermission in the light of https://github.com/civicrm/civicrm-core/pull/20945 and felt like maybe this should be in core. It basically adds and checks 4 permissions
- 'Access "Export as CSV" drop down menu item from actions menu on after search/report'
- Access "Print" drop down menu item from actions menu on search/report
- Access "Print/Merge document (PDF Letter)" drop down menu item from actions menu on search/report
- Access "Print Mailing Labels" drop down menu item from actions menu on search/report
In terms of reasons why this would be better in an extension than core - here are some questions I think we would consider
- does it impose a maintenance burden on core (in this case I would say no)
- does it have/need unit tests. In this case (incredibly) I would be OK without tests - but they would be super-easy to add to https://github.com/civicrm/civicrm-core/pull/20944
- does it meet a generic needs or a specific need - this feels fairly generic
- does it over-complicate using core
- is it just too hard to negotiate with the community on this topic.
My suspicicion is that the reason for not putting this in core in the past falls between 4 & 5 - ie. some people feel that adding more permissions over-complicates the permissions UI as a matter of principle. But I think it's worth asking the question again