Proposal - Separation of Default Language for contacts from the default Language
Right now, the preferred communication language for new contacts is bound to what the site's default language is in or to 'use language in use at the time' is in but as it seems, neither of them fits the scenario below:
A multinational organization in country A has 2 (or more) enabled languages in their Drupal configuration, thus into each user's profile. They want to have the preferred communication language for each of their contacts set to country A's language while the menus needs to be retained in English by force.
How to replicate
- On a Drupal 7 site, allow 2 languages, set the English as default
- In CiviCRM > Administer > Localisation, set:
- the default language to the non-English
- Inherit CMS language to 'Yes'
- Available Languages: Add the 2 languages that you've added in Drupal
- Default Language for contacts: Any (I tried all options)
- Logout and login again
- Try to create a new contact
The suggestion is besides what already is in the selector, to add also a list of available languages to the field 'Default Language for contacts' so that we can enforce a language.
I've already worked on a patch that does the above, I'm not sure if my approach of this idea hides any potentials flaws.
PR is here - 20214